Pages

The Collection - The Disease

Dear Marjorie - My husband is 46 years old and spends most of his time playing with toy trains. He doesn't pay any attention to me these days.

Dear M - You have my deepest sympathy! Unfortunately, this condition is well known and is usually terminal. Very few people ever fully recover. However, you can turn this situation to your advantage! Trainaholics are so oblivious to their surroundings that you can bring as many men back to the house as you want - your man will never know!


Whatever you do though, don't get rid of your train fanatic - they are notoriously good at paying the bills! Blessings

When I first read this letter in a women's magazine I was shocked, devastated, mortified........

It took me a while to comprehend the truth in these words, but I am determined to 'clean up' my act.

No more trains!

The disease started .......... continue reading my incredibly boring history


affiliate_link



Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Inglourious Disasters

My email inbox is frequently clogged with deranged collections of weird photographs, jokes, powerpoints with soppy music and other viral pieces, mostly compiled by bored employees.  As I have regular contact with the executive end of the corporate ladder, I amuse myself by forwarding the emails which sport relevant company disclaimers at the bottom.  "This is what you are paying your employees to create! - can't you give them something better to do?"

I agree, some of them are amusing or even downright funny.  Occasionally, I receive the more interesting variety, one of which I share with you today.

The compiler was clever enough to remove the company disclaimer from the footnote, so unfortunately, I am unable to dole out the credit where it's due.  If you are the author of this missive or the photographer, let me know so that I can pat you heartily on the back.  Nice work!

Here it is - just as it came to me:

Good news: It was a normal day in  Sharon   Springs , KS when a Union Pacific crew boarded a loaded coal train for the long trek to  Salina  .

The Bad news: Just a few miles into the trip a wheel bearing became overheated and melted, letting a metal support drop down and grind on the rail, creating white hot molten metal droppings spewing down to the rail. 

 

The Good news: A very alert crew noticed smoke about halfway back in the train and immediately stopped the train in compliance with the rules.

The Bad news: The train stopped with the hot wheel over a wooden bridge with creosote ties and trusses.

The crew tried to explain to higher-ups but were instructed not to move the train!

They were instructed Rules prohibit moving the train when a part is defective!





The final comment sums it up nicely:

"Don't let common sense get in the way of a good disaster"
blog comments powered by Disqus