Pages

The Collection - The Disease

Dear Marjorie - My husband is 46 years old and spends most of his time playing with toy trains. He doesn't pay any attention to me these days.

Dear M - You have my deepest sympathy! Unfortunately, this condition is well known and is usually terminal. Very few people ever fully recover. However, you can turn this situation to your advantage! Trainaholics are so oblivious to their surroundings that you can bring as many men back to the house as you want - your man will never know!


Whatever you do though, don't get rid of your train fanatic - they are notoriously good at paying the bills! Blessings

When I first read this letter in a women's magazine I was shocked, devastated, mortified........

It took me a while to comprehend the truth in these words, but I am determined to 'clean up' my act.

No more trains!

The disease started .......... continue reading my incredibly boring history


affiliate_link



Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Collection

The disease started when I was around six years old and I was presented with my first train set - a small German TRIX 3-rail set. It was mostly plastic, but the locomotives moved like the proverbial shit off a shiny shovel. In fact they moved way too fast for realism and always rolled off on the curves.......but isn't that part of the fun?

A few years later I was presented with another train set, this time a second-hand Hornby Dublo 3-rail outfit. Now, I believe there was an ulterior motive behind this, in the shape of a father who was besotted with steam trains, but didn't want to admit he liked playing with them.

Hornby Dublo turned out to be the 'Bees Knees' of collectors train sets and it didn't take many seconds to work out why.

It ain't plastic - it's absolutely solid!

I traveled miles with my father. Trundling down country lanes in rural England, visiting old men in tiny cottages, who had decided to part with their own lifetime collections. Some of these places were better than museums! They had decided to a man that they couldn't take their trains with them to heaven and with no-one to whom they could leave them, decided to send them to new caring homes. Sad....really sad.

.....and now it's my turn. Yes, I am a sad git for being soft in the head about trains in the first place, but now it's my turn to pass them on. I don't feel that I am going to pop my clogs any time soon, but my own lifestyle has changed to such a degree, that the chance of ever having the space and time to lay the whole shebang out on a board once more is remote to the nth degree.

Now it's someone else's turn to enjoy it. If you are interested in buying it as a lot, let me know. In the meantime I will set about the task of cataloging and photographing everything and slowly laying it out here in the ether until it's complete.

.....and then i won't want to part with it!
blog comments powered by Disqus